Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Lake Path...

We're back.

After getting off the cruise ship, we spent a few day in Prince Edward Island. I talked about the the trip a lot in my other blog, http://jeffgriggs.blogspot.com/

Feel free to read about it there. Here are a few pictures from Prince Edward Island to tide you over until you read that blog.









It's been really nice to come back to Chicago. My transition to Chicago weather hasn't been too difficult. I haven't done a long run yet, but I've did 8 miles on Saturday, 8 on Monday and 8 this morning.


It's been so nice to see that totem pole before I run. It reminds me of Alaska, but it tells me I'm home.


The biggest transition has been that I'm trying to switch to running in the morning. Normally, I run around noon or 1pm. It's not too hot right now, but I don't want to get in the habit of running at the hottest point of the day. I've hit the Lake Shore path at 8am the past few runs and it's so much easier shaking off the morning cobwebs and dealing with the crisp morning climate as opposed to the hot afternoon sun. I really want to keep it up and continue running in the morning. I hope I can.

Meanwhile, I have a running injury.

From time to time, everyone gets running injuries, but this one is really weird.

The last week we were on the ship, I did a 16 mile run and was really out of it. I made a sandwich in my cabin and sat down in my chair to eat it so I could recover from my tough run. I scooted the chair forward, but unfortunately the cushion had become attached from the base of the chair and I ended up smashing my fingers in between the cushion and the chair. I thought I'd broken a couple of my fingers.

One finger in particular was squashed pretty bad. It bled at the nail and I bandaged it and iced it down.

I've had to keep the bandage on it because the nail on that finger is only partially hanging on.





How do you get a running injury on your fingernail?

It didn't exactly happen while I was running, but it didn't happen 5 minutes after I had finished a long run and if I hadn't been so exhausted, delirious and slightly dehydrated, I wouldn't have trapped my finger beneath the cushion.

Weird.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment