Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My training miles...

I'm 7 months away from the marathon and while most training schedules are for 14 or 18 weeks, my plan is to put enough miles on my legs that hitting 26.2 miles won't seem like an earth shattering event.

At the end of last year, I worked my way up to 18 miles, then tapered down. This time around, I'm going to work my way up to 20 miles then taper down.

It's weird putting together a running schedule while you're working on a cruise ship. It's difficult running while the ship is moving because the motion feels like you are running up and down hills. However, you don't particularly want to run on a ship track or treadmill while the ship is standing still because that means the ship is at port and you're not going to spend a whole lotta time on land.

Our current itinerary is the following:

Sunday: Miami
Monday: Bahamas
Tuesday: At Sea
Wednesday: Jamaica
Thursday: Grand Cayman Islands
Friday: Cozumel
Saturday: At Sea

To complicate the schedule a bit, we perform 2 shows on Wednesday and 3 shows on Saturday. I can't be tired on those days because the shows are the whole reason I get paid to do this awesome job.

So, here's the schedule I've come up with:

Saturday: At Sea
5 Miles

Sunday: Miami
6 Miles

Monday: Bahamas
Off Day

Tuesday: At Sea
Long run. First week was 8 miles, next week is 10. The weeks after that will be 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 18, 18, 18, 20

Wednesday: Jamaica
Cross training

Thursday: Grand Cayman Islands
8 miles

Friday: Cozumel
Off Day

So that's it. It's a little odd having my long and medium long runs be right after each other, but I'll have a light cross training day in between them. That'll give me a mental and physical break that will be very helpful. Although, once I get up to the 16 mile run days, those Wednesday cross training days will probably disappear.

Wish me luck!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone 5

No comments:

Post a Comment