Thursday, September 26, 2013

It's been an up and down few weeks. I attempted to do a 20 mile run 2 weeks ago and totally crashed after mile 14. It was an interesting run though. I was quite a bit South.


When I got to mile 16 I was completely spent. I had my bus pass with me and took the bus the rest of the way home.

I was completely sweaty, salty and out of breath. Everyone on the bus eyed me suspiciously as I heaved and rasped all the way home.

I took a shower, ate and rehydrated. When I was done, I totally couldn't stop sneezing, coughing and sniffling.

I read a lot of articles about my running crash and my sudden sickness and everything led me to believe I might be overtraining.

Too many miles. Too few rest days. Not enough variation in my mileage. Since March I have run between 35 - 42 miles a week. That's not a lot, compared to what experienced runners do. But, being as this is my first marathon, I needed to alter my training a bit because I was extremely run down.

So, I took a full week off. I probably should have just cut my miles down for a week, but taking the whole week off was really what I needed. It wasn't ideal, being that I did it with 4 weeks until the Marathon. But, it really helped.

I did my normal miles last week and had a nice comfortable 20 miler.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to do 22 miles. Then,...

...it's time to taper.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:I'm still running...

No comments:

Post a Comment