Wednesday, April 10, 2013

2 a days...

On Friday, I did something I've never done before. I ran twice in one day.

Now, I've worked out twice in a day before. When you work on a ship, you get bored.

There are only 5 or 6 TV channels and there's only so much MSNBC, FOX NEWS, and BBC World America you can watch. We do get ESPN, but it's the international version so there are a lot of Cricket and Rugby matches on.

So, you get bored and end up going to the gym twice in a day.

On Friday, I woke up early and ran 6 miles. After I showered, we got off the ship and had a great day wandering around Cozumel.


Here's our friend Kelsey, my wife Jeannie and I at one or our favorite restaurants. They had a crucifix made of cutlery!



After we got back on the ship, I got antsy and decided I would go back up to the gym to workout. The plan was to do some cross training and lift some weights, but when I got up there, I took a quick inventory of my body and my legs felt good. The energy in the rest of my body felt high so I wandered over to the treadmill. On the TV, one of the movie channels was showing Annie Hall. That'll keep my entertained for an hour, I thought.

I plugged in my headphones and ran 6 more miles.

Running twice in a day is something I've read about in magazines. Trainers encourage you to do that from time to time to build up strength in your legs. Usually, they say, you should break up your workout and do half your run in the morning and half your run in the evening.

In the five years I've been running, I've never done it. My legs feel pretty spent after a full 6 mile run, so doing any more mileage at night seems pretty crazy.

This felt pretty good though. I was very pleased with both runs and my recovery was routine. The next day I felt great.

The only downside?

Running twice in a day means, an extra shower in a day. Also means, twice as much dirty clothes. Workout clothes in the morning. Regular clothes throughout the day. Workout clothes in the evening. Regular clothes in the evening. Pajama's.

Excessive laundry aside, it was a great set of runs and I'm going to try to work in additional "2 a Days" throughout my marathon training.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment