Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Here we go...

I'm running a marathon.

I've been running for a few years and have run 2 half marathons, a 10K and a handful of 5K's.  Throughout most that time I had no desire to run a full marathon.

People would always ask, "So, are you going to run a marathon next?" and I would say, "No Way!"

I had no desire to do it.

The first thought that went through my mind when my wife/running partner and I crossed the finish line of our first half marathon was, There's no way I'd ever want to double this.

Not, "Hooray, I just finished a half marathon!" or "I just finished a huge race and had a great time!"

Nope, my first thought was, I don't want to ever run longer than this.

That half marathon was the Chicago Half Marathon in 2011.

This year,  my wife Jeannie and I ran the Chicago Half Marathon again and the first thought after I crossed the finish line was, I could keep going.

That feeling shocked me.  It was the first time I ever thought, I think I can do it.  I think I can run a marathon.

A week ago, my friend Brett and I were on our computers and he looked up and said, "Just so you know, I'm going to sign up to run the Chicago Marathon this year, if you want to do it."

I took a deep breath and said, "I'll do it."

My wife walked into the room and he said the same thing to her.  Without hearing how I had responded, Jeannie said, "Okay, I'll do sign up too."

So, we're doing it.

We're running a marathon.

Crazy.

Exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment